"Mahogany with a nineteenth century painting [most likely of Terpsichore, the Muse of singing and dancing, holding her customary garland of flowers] in the position formerly occupied by a front panel of dummy pipes. Two barrels in existence; but inside the lid a list of four barrels with ten tunes each. [These are listed on the inside of the lid]. Specification: stopped diapason and principal." Raymond Russell Victoria and Albert Museum Catalogue of Musical Instruments. Volume I. Keyboard Instruments (London, 1968), p. 70.
1790 - 1795 (Made)
Longman & Broderip [Corporation]
Victoria and Albert Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Materials:Joined, planed and varnished mahogany with painted front panel.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Barrel 1. The Soldier's (joy). Astly's Hornpipe. The Charms of the Fair. The New Forest Hunt. Hark Hark ye (joy inspire horn). The top sails shiver in the wind. When Wm and Eve meet me. Col. Reed's Minuet. Diordani's Minuet. Young Robin was a Shepherd. Jemmy and Jenny's farewell. Saw you my father, saw you ... How sweet is your (hands) [sic] Shepherds I have lost my (love). Malbrook. German Spa Dance. Spinning Wheel. The Lord my Pasture. Glory to thee my God this night. Barrel 3. All 'a' day my poor (Mary) Count Almadover's Minuet. The Merry (Danube). The Court Minuet. Ma chere Amia. Dans Votre Lit. I ask not beauty quite (complete). Jenny Sutton. Chelmsford Races. La Bella Catherina. Molly put the kettle on. Sir David Hunter ... Devil among the ... The Honey Moon. Murphy Delany. Laurette. Speed the plough. Off he goes. M...browes Waltz. [indecypherable]
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:
- Repository:Victoria and Albert Museum
- Measurements:Height: 162.5 cm, Depth: 54.5 cm, Width: 61 cm
- View the original record:http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O368912