Neck of guitar
"A finely decorated piece, with panels of mother-of-pearl on the fingerboard, engraved with figures of the Elements, and marquetry decoration in ivory on an ebony ground on the back of the neck, consisting of grotesque figures. The flat, shaped head has holes for ten pegs. Boxwood frets have later been added to the fingerboard." Anthony Baines,Catalogue of Musical Instruments in the Victoria and Albert Museum - Part II: Non-keyboard instruments (London, 1998), p. 63.
Victoria and Albert Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Materials:Neck of guitar with ebony veneer, engraved with ivory ornaments on the back; veneered with ebony and engraved mother-of-pearl plaques on the fingerboard, with boxwood frets inserted.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Giorgio Sellas/ Alla Stella / in Venetia/ 1627/ Fe[cit]. Giorgio Sellas/ at [the sign of] the Star/ in Venice/ 1627/ made [this].
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:
- Repository:Victoria and Albert Museum
- Measurements:Length: 51.4 cm, Width: 7 cm
- View the original record:http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O58887