Technical description: Calfskin membrane, badly broken around rim. Rim of metal set inside a wooden body veneered in hardwood (rosewood?). Nickel plated string holder at bottom with five knobs for the looped strings to attach to. Neck width 35.5 - 51. Mother-of-pearl frets at 1, 3, 5, 7(2), 10, 12, 14, 17, 21; 21frets total . V-shaped neck. 5 tuners of ebony veneered head. Fingerboard of ebony over maple. Metal button on back. Tuner metal including the buttons.
Probably 1st half of the 20th centurySerial number: 49.
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:321.312-5 Spike box lutes or spike guitars sounded by the bare fingers
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:321.312-5 Spike box lutes or spike guitars sounded by the bare fingers
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:921.Body diameter: 223 (membrane), 289 (body)
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/14923