'Moon lute' or box lute.
Technical description: Circular box of light, unpolished 'tung' wood, body diameter 373, depth 42; neck and hexagonal pegs of darker wood; 4 silk strings; 2 frets on fingerboard, 8 on soundboard (3 short, 3 long, 2 medium); played with the fingers or a plectrum.
Before 1888, probably before 1872
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:321.322-5 Necked box lutes or necked guitars sounded by the bare fingers
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:321.322-5 Necked box lutes or necked guitars sounded by the bare fingers
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/17276