Sarangi (box fiddle).
Technical description: Wooden body, U-shaped bottom and sides in one piece, separate ends, maximum width 255, maximum depth 170; parchment sound-table, reinforced with leather strip where bridge rests on sound-table; bridge with lightly curved top with 3 notches on top and 39 holes; top of neck contains box for strings; 4 melodic, 35 sympathetic strings (metal). Repair History: Side of neck originally pierced to hold possibly only 7 pegs for sympathetic strings.
Probably 20th century
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:321.322-7 Necked box lutes or necked guitars sounded by bowing
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:321.322-7 Necked box lutes or necked guitars sounded by bowing
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/15663