28-inch bass drum.
Technical description: Wooden shell; 8 double tension rods. Harness loop for marching use. Repair History: One tension rod a replacement, J.& R.Glen, 25.2.71. Tension rods have had nuts threaded onto them to increase the clearance of the T-handles with counter-hoops - thus all would appear to be replacements, possibly taken from Boosey & Hawkes 'Ajax' type drum. The hoop hooks may be from yet another source. One hoop shows evidence of screw clamped attachments and has been broken and repaired by rivetting; a single Â¼-in hole has been drilled in this hoop.
Mid 20th Century
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.212.11-92 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing with membrane lapped onto a hoop
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.212.11-92 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing with membrane lapped onto a hoop
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/16664