Set of pipes, Scottish.
Technical description: 21-inch chanter with foot section which has two sound-holes. Bass drone in four sections, including a return section to reduce the overall size of the instrument and a U-bend connecting pipe. Tenor drone in two sections; baritone regulator, five closed-standing silver keys with raised touchpieces. Stained hardwood, drone stock of boxwood, silver mounted overall. Small sheepskin bag with green velvet cover.
18th or early 19th century
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:422.112+422.122-71+422.22-62 Single oboes with conical bore combined with a set of oboes with conical bore with keys and a set of reedpipes with single reeds with flexible air reservoir
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:422.112+422.122-71+422.22-62 Single oboes with conical bore combined with a set of oboes with conical bore with keys and a set of reedpipes with single reeds with flexible air reservoir
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:Chanter 532; bass drone c982; tenor drone 390; baritone regulator: 328.
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/18544