Clarinet. Nominal pitch: B♭.
Technical description: Boxwood, with ivory ferrules and brass keys. Six pieces: mouthpiece, barrel, upper section, middle section for the fingers of the right hand, lower section with keys, bell. Mouthpiece with a short table grooved for cord with 11grooves. Barrel waisted.Upper section ornamented with a single groove on top. Straight speaker, liner projects c5mm into bore; other tone-holes not lined.Middle section: wide ivory ferrule, no thumbrest. Key for B♮₃/F♯₅ in block. Blocks of speaker and A♮ pinned for strength.Lower section: Levers for L4, tone-hole and key for R4 mounted in a bell-shaped swelling. L0: T; speaker. L1: T; throatA♮. L2: T. L3: T; E♭₄/B♭₅. L4: E₃/B♮₄; F♯₃/C♯₅. R1: T; trill key for throatA-B♮. R2: T; B♮₃/F♯₅. R3: T. R4: T; G♯₃/E♭₅. Keymount type: blocks, swelling. Keyhead type: flat square. Repair History: The mouthpiece is a replacement.
Cramer and Key
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:663; 599 to top of barrel; bell rim overall c84.2.
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/15398