Contrabass serpent. Nominal pitch: 16-ft C.
Technical description: Wood with leather binding; brass stays, bell mount, crook receiver mount, keywork and crooks; crook overall lengths: original 1360, alternative 1034; no finger-holes; keys arranged for right hand held under tube. L0: B♭. L1: B. L2: A. L3: A♭. L4: G. R0: C♯; D. R1: E♭. R2: E. R3: F. R4: F♯. Keyhead type: flat round. Repair History: Restored by C.W. Monk c1985. Alternative crook made by Ted Kirby for C.W. Monk c1985.
Joseph and Richard Wood
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.213-71 Labrosones with fingerholes and with keys, with (wider) conical bore
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.213-71 Labrosones with fingerholes and with keys, with (wider) conical bore
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/18242