Ophimonocleide. Nominal pitch C
Technical description: Air-column folded in two in the manner of a bassoon. Wooden body covered with brown leather with brass ferrules, flared brass bell. Long folded brass crook incorporating secondary tuning-slide. Main tuning-slide between two sections of body. 6finger-holes in thick-walled body with slanting tunnels (like bassoon but larger diameter); single key on bell section, with touchpiece for left thumb.Tone-hole details, in order from mouthpiece end: - distance hole tunnel from dia length m.r. face, L0: 2087 46.2 c 10, L1: 981 14.0 c 45, L2: 1012 13.7 c 45, L3: 1049 13.0 c 50 R1: 1272 14.5 c 35, R2: 1464 16.0 c 50, R3: 1432 16.1 c 50 (note odd fingering sequence) Keyhead type: Cup keys for stuffed pads.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.213-71
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:933 (with main tuning-slide stuck at 17mm from minimum).
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/17003