Bersag horn. Nominal pitch: B♭.
Technical description: Brass. Quick-change valve for octave change operated by rotating mouthpipe; single Périnet playing valve which lowers 4½-ft B♭ series of natural notes to 7-ft D series of natural notes, and lowers 9-ft B♭ series of natural notes to 12-ft F series of natural notes.Tubular receptacle of unknown purpose mounted above mouthpipe, length 39.6; bore at proximal end 12.1, at 20mm and at distal end 11.6, i.e. not matching instrument m.r.t. Finger loop on top of bell; ring for mouthpiece attachment chain. Valve type: Périnet valve, bottom sprung; alignment by key on piston; quick-change valve with Stölzel-type moving part in windway, this however is the mouthpipe which is rotated through 180° to operate valve.
1893 or soon after
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.231.11 Valve bugles with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.11 Valve bugles with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:348; bell 96 - 107.
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/16846