Mellophone. Nominal pitch: F.E♭ / C.
Technical description: silver-plated brass; water-key on both alternative main tuning slides; fitting for music card holder. Shorter main tuning-slide with F.E♭ quick-change valve in slide bow; longer main tuning-slide for 8-ftC used with set of three longer alternative valve tuning-slides. Valve type: 3 Périnet valves, top sprung with compression spring in hollow stem; alignment by 3 unequal lugs on spring anchor plate. Repair History: repair or modification to mouthpipe, with insensitive insertion of a short length of nickel-plated tube, extending air-column length by c10mm.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.2 Valve horns with wider bore
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:405 perpendicular to bell; bell 278.
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/15969