Flugelhorn. Nominal pitch: 4½-ftB♭.
Technical description: brass; ligature tuning at mouthpipe; fitting for music card holder.Mahillon 'automatic regulating pistons' system of compensation. The first valve is double with respect to the third. The tuning shank leads through the upper ports of the 1st valve and the 2nd valve, which act as normal, to the 3rd valve. If the 3rd valve is not operated, the windway leads to the bell. If the 3rd valve is operated, the windway passes into the lower port of the 1st valve; when the 1st valve is not operated, the windway leaves the first valve and returns via a short loop; when the 1st valve is operated, the windway leaves the first valve and returns via a longer loop; there is then a tube leading back from the 1st valve via the 3rd valve tuning-slide to the 3rd valve and thence to the bell. Valve type: 3 Périnet valves, bottom sprung; alignment by key on piston.
Mahillon, Charles-Borromée [Person]
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.231.11 Valve bugles with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.11 Valve bugles with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:450; bell 147.
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/16331