Jumbo sousaphone. Nominal pitch: 18-ft B♭.
Technical description: Model No.691, with 0.77-inch bore and 30-inch bell. Brass; angled mouthpipe with slightly angled bit, ligature fixing for adjustment of playing angle. Final section of bell flare fitted to bell-pipe with flanged joint and secured with three screws with knurled heads, the bell mouth can be rotated to point in any desired direction or detached for convenience when not in use. With two water keys and fitting for music card holder. Valve type: 4 Périnet valves, bottom sprung; alignment by key on piston.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.2 Valve bugles with wide bore
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:height c1500, depending on orientation of bell; bell 764.
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/18445