Clarinet. Nominal pitch: B♭.
Technical description: Boxwood with ivory ferrules and brass keywork. Four pieces: mouthpiece with integral barrel, upper section, middle section, lower section with integral bell. Mouthpiece stamped on reed side, grooved for cord. Turned guidelines in upper rings, and in lowest ring also. SATK. Levers for L4 and key and tone-hole for R4 mounted in a bell shaped swelling. Continuous bell. Two square turned rings, and one round turned ring. 6keys. L0: T; speaker. L1: T; throat A♮. L2: T. L3: T. L4: E₃/B♮₄; F♯₃/C♯₅. R1: T; trill key for throat A-B♮. R2: T. R3: T. R4: T; G♯₃/E♭₅. Keymount type: turned wooden rings, blocks, and swelling. Keyhead type: flat square.
Hale, John [Person]
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:673 with mouthpiece.
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/16619