Clarinet. Nominal pitch: A.
Technical description: Boxwood with ivory ferrules and brass keywork. Six pieces: mouthpiece, barrel, upper section, middle section for the fingers of the right hand, lower section with keys, bell. Original mouthpiece grooved for cord and stamped on the reed side, which indicates that is was blown with reed up. Levers for L4, tone-hole and key for R4 mounted in a fusiform swelling. Extendable L4 levers. Cross keys mounted in saddles. 11keys. L0: T; speaker. L1: T; throat A♮; throat A♭. L2: T. L3: T; E♭₄/B♭₅. L4: C♯₄/G♯₅; E₃/B♮₄; F♯₃/C♯₅. R1: T; side F₄/C₆; side trill key for throat A-B♮ and B♭-C. R2: T. R3: T; B♭₃/F♮₅. R4: T. G♯₃/E♭₅. Keymount type: turned wooden rings, saddles, swelling. Keyhead type: flat round.
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/16897