Clarinet. Nominal pitch: B♭/A.
Technical description: Boxwood with ivory ferrules and brass keywork. Eight pieces: mouthpiece, barrel, two upper sections (B♭/A), two middle sections (B♭/A) for the fingers of the right hand, lower section with keys, bell. Original cocus wood mouthpiece mounted in horn, grooved for cord. Levers for L4, tone-hole and key for R4 mounted in a fusiform swelling. Extendable L4 levers. 8keys. L0: T; speaker. L1: T; throat A♮. L2: T. L3: T. L4: C♯₄/G♯₅; E₃/B♮₄; F♯₃/C♯₅. R1: T; trill key for throat A-B♮. R2: T. R3: T; cross B♭₃/F♮₅. R4: T; G♯₃/E♭₅. Keymount type: turned rings, plates with saddles, swelling. Keyhead type: square flat.
Merklein, Johann Baptist
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:(B?) 656, (A) 687, both with original mouthpiece.
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/15133