Clarinet. Nominal pitch: B♭.
Technical description: Boxwood with ivory ferrules and brass keywork. Probably five pieces: mouthpiece, barrel, upper section, middle section for the fingers of the right hand, lower section with keys and integral bell. Extendable levers for L4, tone-hole and key for R4 mounted in a fusiform swelling. L0: T; speaker. L1: T; throat A♮. L2: T. L3: T. L4: E₃/B♮₄; F♯₃/C♯₅. R1: T. R2: T. R3: T. R4: T. G♯₃/E♭₅. Keymount type: turned wooden rings, swelling. Keyhead type: square flat. Repair History: The G♯₃/E♭₅key seems to be a later addition. It partially covers the maker's mark.
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/16211