Clarinet. Nominal pitch: C.
Technical description: Boxwood with ivory ferrules and brass keywork. Six pieces: mouthpiece, barrel, upper section, middle section for the fingers of the right hand, lower section with keys, bell. Levers for L4, tone-hole and key for R4 mounted in a bell-shaped swelling. Some tone-holes lined with brass. Shaped G♯₃/E♭₅ touchpiece. Zig-zag F♯₃/C♯₅. Two cross keys in saddles seem to be later additions to original English-style 6-key. 8keys. L0: T; speaker. L1: T; throat A♮. L2: T. L3: T; E♭₄/B♭₅. L4: E₃/B♮₄; F♯₃/C♯₅. R1: T; trill key for throat A-B♮. R2: T; B♮₃/F♯₅. R3: T. R4: T; G♯₃/E♭₅. Keymount type: Turned wooden rings, swelling, saddles. Keyhead type: flat square. Repair History: Brass band replacing lower ivory ring of barrel.
Gerock & Wolf
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:588 with mouthpiece.
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/18235