Flute. Nominal pitch: C.
Technical description: Boxwood; 5sections; 5ivory mounts; ivory cap with inlaid wooden disc (or may be ivory encircling wooden pin); small circular embouchure-hole; brass key with elegant, decorated touch. R0: Keymount type: ring; originally SATK. Keyhead type: flat square. Repair History: Head appears to be from a smaller flute; tuning-barrel section is made of a different wood and appears to have been added to lengthen the instrument and lower the pitch; foot may also be from a different instrument; spring is a replacement.
Late 18th or early 19thcentury
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:580 (with cap fully in).
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/18054