Upright piano elaborately veneered, with oval polychrome porcelain plaques, marquetry cartouches and gilt bronze mounts of fluted columns at front supporting baskets of flowers. Whole on two turned legs above projecting faceted, veneered base with gilt bronze mounts. Erard was founded by Sébastien Erard (1752-1831). Trained in Strasbourg, Erard moved to Paris in 1768 and began making pianos for the French nobility. He was later joined by his brother Jean-Baptiste Erard (1749-1826) and the business grew, especially after Royal commissions from Marie-Antoinette, but suffered during the French Revolution. The family opened a London outlet in 1790/1, which concentrated on the production of harps. Sébastien is famous for making a great number of technical improvements and inventions and took out between fifteen adn twenty patents in England alone. After the death of Sébastien Erard, Jean Baptiste's son Pierre (1794-1855) took over the busines in Paris and London, winning a gold medal at the 1824 Paris Exposition and later becoming piano maker to Albert, Prince Consort. Many illustrious pianists played Erard instruments, including Liszt and Mendelssohn.
Royal Collection Trust
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Measurements:114.5 x 151.0 x 61.0 cm (whole object)
- View the original record:https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/20522