Technical description: boxwood; 4 sections; heavy brass (replacement) key with L-shaped keytouch; 4 horn ferrules; wooden cap; large, irregular oval embouchure-hole; foot is a later replacement in laburnum wood.; Nominal pitch: C.; Type or system: 1 key.; Keyhead type: saltspoon.; Keymount type: rod/pillar, with leaf spring. Usable pitch: A₄ c|444|Hz.; Performance characteristics: range D₄|-|A₆; plays with a strong, clear sound except lowest notes, and with surprisingly consistent intonation.
Early-to-mid 19th century
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped "METZLER / LONDON / D".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 594.; Sounding length: 524.; Bore: conical.