Technical description: boxwood; 5 sections; silver keys; 6 domed ivory ferrules (one double); wooden cap with ivory screw; metal tuning-slide but head not lined; ivory bush at upper edge of tuning section; graduated screw-stopper; oval embouchure-hole; medium-sized finger-holes.; Nominal pitch: C.; Type or system: 4 keys.; Keyhead type: saltspoon.; Keymount type: ring/knob.; Usable pitch: A₄ c|445|Hz; as screw-stopper is not movable from its midway position, pitch tests were made with head slightly pulled out.; Performance characteristics: [original range D₄|-|B♭₆]; only a few notes speak in present condition.
Paine & Hopkins
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped "PAINE & HOPKINS / NO 69 CORNHILL / LONDON".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 611.; Sounding length: 531.; Bore: conical.