Technical description: boxwood; 5 sections; silver keys; 5 ivory ferrules plus cap; metal-lined head; graduated, wood-covered tuning-slide; graduated ivory screw-stopper; [originally circular] embouchure-hole; overlapping low C/C♯ touches.; Nominal pitch: C.; Type or system: 6 keys (to C).; Keyhead type: pewter plugs, with metal-lined key-holes.; Keymount type: ring/knob with metal-lined channels.; Usable pitch: A₄ c|445|Hz, with screw on 5 and head slightly out.; Performance characteristics: [original range C₄|-|A₆]; lowest notes and A₆ not speaking in present condition; other notes speak with a slightly muffled sound, probably caused by the damage to the embouchure-hole.
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped "POTTER / LONDON" on all sections except head (but wood and ferrules all match); stamped ["4"], ["5"] and "6" on tuning-slide cover and screw tip; engraved "WOOD FECIT" in scroll on shank of low C key; engraved "James Buchanan Demerary" in script on D? key.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 642 (not including 1mm open space at bottom joint).; Sounding length: 571 (as above).; Bore: conical.