Technical description: rosewood; 5 sections; silver keys; 5 ivory ferrules plus cap; metal-lined head; graduated, wood-covered tuning-slide; graduated ivory screw-stopper; slightly oval embouchure-hole; overlapping low C/C♯ touches; elegant instrument with attractive grain.; Nominal pitch: C.; Type or system: 6 keys (to C).; Keyhead type: flat square, notched and chamfered.; Keymount type: ring/knob.; Usable pitch: in present condition A₄ c|439|Hz; head immovable in `fully-out' position (beyond gradation 4) so pitch tested with screw-stopper tip fully in.; Performance characteristics: range C₄|-|C₇; in present condition C₄ and C♯₄ not speaking and low register a little unclear; middle and top registers play with a clear, strong sound, speaking easily to B₆ and with C₇ playable.
Whitaker & Co. [Corporation]
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped "WHITAKER & CO / LONDON / 1821" (this, including the date, is repeated on all sections except the head); stamped "PATENT" on head ferrule; stamped "4", "5" and "6" on tuning-slide covering.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 673 (not including 19mm open space at joints).; Sounding length: 593 (as above).; Bore: conical.