Technical description: Brass. Tuning shank for C and 5|tuning terminal crooks with ligature restraint. The bore profile is close to that of a flugelhorn with the shorter crooks, closer to a cornet with the longer crooks. Crooks (304a) - (304d) singly coiled, (304e) is doubly coiled. The 5|crooks for B♭, A, A♭, G, F are original (from decoration). With drainage tube below the three valve casings opening at one end onto a curved channel which also serves as a finger rest for the left hand.; Nominal pitch: 4-ft|C etc.; Type or system: 3 valves.; Valve type: 3 wide piston valves with unusual windway arrangement in pistons. When valve is not operated, the windway is straight through the lowest passage in the piston; when valve is operated, the windway is led up to the two valve loop ports directly above the main windway, the piston containing two passages side-by-side. Bottom-sprung, alignment by screws through lower part of valve casing engaging with opening in side of piston running up from bottom. Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A₄=|440|Hz.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Inscribed on bell "OATES'S PATENT / Made Only by / J.|GISBORNE / 37|Suffolk St / BIRMINGHAM / Approved by / HERR KOENIG" (the O and E a diphthong); on embossed plate on 2nd valve casing "REGISTERED / APRIL|23 / 1845".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.11
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to crook receiver proximal 385; bell 140.; Sounding length: minima 1193 (with replacement C tuning shank), 1316 (in|B?), 1391 (in|A), 1471 (in|A?), 1551 (in|G), 1731 (in|F).; Bore: end of B? crook at c|195mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 9.7; valve cluster from 213mm to 316mm from mouthpiece receiver (with B? crook), v.t.s. bore (1,2,3) 9.7; at 658mm from bell end, c|14.1; at c|350mm from bell end, 19.9; at 16.5mm from bell end, 83.B|=|0.58 (in|C), B|=|0.61 (in|B?) B|=|0.63 (in|A), B|=|0.64 (in|A?), B|=|0.65 (in|G), B|=|0.67 (in|F).Bell cutoff |1300|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 9.7 (replacement tuning shank, not tapering), 9.7 (304a curving immediately), 9.8 - 9.75 (304b), 9.8 - 6.66 (304c), 9.7 - 9.65 (304d), 9.8 - 9.75 (304e).