Technical description: Brass with German silver outer slides, mouthpiece receiver sheath, ferrules, stays, stay plates and valve parts; no gusset in bell; French bell rim. Bell-forward oval wrap. Fitting for music-card holder; no water-key. Valve type: 3 rotary valves, cork buffers mounted on upper end caps; clock springs in drums.; Nominal pitch: B♭. Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A₄=|460|Hz.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Engraved on bell "Meinel & Herold / Musik Instr. Fabrik / Klingenthal i/Sa"; stamped under all valve touchpieces and on all connecting arms "5".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.11
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to mouthpiece receiver 318; bell 144.; Sounding length: minimum 1249.; Bore: mouthpipe at c|20mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 10.05; valve cluster from 92mm to 197mm from mouthpiece receiver, v.t.s. bore (1,2,3) 11.0; main tuning-slide from 197mm to 351mm from mouthpiece receiver, m.t.s bore 11.0; at 625mm from bell end, c|16.2; at c|432mm from bell end, 22.9; at 12.5mm from bell end, 105.B|=|0.53.Bell cutoff |1100|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 10.95 - 10.05.