Technical description: Brass; French bell rim; no gusset. In three sections with the two joints covered by ferrules of lengths 75 and 72 cms.; Nominal pitch: 4½-ft|B♭ - 5-ft|A.; Usable pitch: Usable both in B♭ and in A at A₄|=|440|Hz as modified; probably built for use in B♭ at circa A₄=|460|Hz.;
A. Hall Gisborne.
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.121.12 End-blown straight labrosones with mouthpiece
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell trademark incorporating "IMPERIAL" and "SUPREME" / "MAKER / TO H.M. FORCES / A|HALL GISBORNE / 42. GRAYS INN ROAD / LONDON / FACTORY VERE STREET / BIRMINGHAM / ENGLAND" / device incorporating "3".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.121.12 End-blown straight labrosones with mouthpiece
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 1235; bell 115.; Sounding length: minimum 1240, maximum 1465 as modified; 1235 (unmodified).; Bore: at c|35mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 8.35; at 618mm from bell end, c|11.5; at c|288mm from bell end, 16.25; at 15mm from bell end, 68.7.B|=|0.58 (unmodified).Bell cutoff |1400|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 9.65 - 8.9.