Technical description: Brass, no garland. Fixed mouthpipe; no main tuning-slide. Windway runs mouthpiece receiver - 2 - 3 - 1 - bell.; Nominal pitch: E♭.; Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A₄=|440|Hz.
John Augustus Köhler.
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Embossed on applied, die-stamped plate on bell "BY HER 1075 MAJESTY'S / ROYAL LETTERS PATENT / Royal arms (lion and unicorn) / KOHLER SOLE MAKER / 35, HENRIETTA STT / COVENT GARDEN LONDON"; on side of plaque "J, SHAW / INVENTOR", the "1075" engraved;stamped on valve touchpieces and moving discs "1", "2", "3".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to main bow 281; bell 121.; Sounding length: minimum 1012.; Bore: mouthpipe at c|30mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 8.7; valve cluster from 270mm to 579mm from mouthpiece receiver, v.t.s. bore (2,3,1) 11.1; at c|228mm from bell end, 15.7; at 20mm from bell end, 68.B|=|0.63.Bell cutoff |1300|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 9.4 - 9.0.