Technical description: Brass with german silver garland, stay plate, shank/crook receiver sheath, finger-hook, clapper-key and valve top caps and touchpieces. Valves in V-formation; drooping 3rd valve tuning-slide. Main tuning-slide and 2nd valve tuning-slide with moving inners; 1st and 3rd valve tuning-slides with moving outers. With (307a) bit, (307b)-(307c) shanks for B♭ and A, and (307d)-(307e) crooks for A♭ and F.; Nominal pitch: B♭ etc.; Type or system: Clapper-key.; Valve type: 3 Stölzel valves, metal partitions; alignment by key on spring capsule and flat-sided stem. Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A₄=|446|Hz.
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on trapezoidal german-silver plate on bell "IMPROVED / & MADE BY / CHAS. PACE. / 49 KING ST. / WESTMINSTER"; stamped on round german-silver plates on shanks and crooks "B?", "A", "A?", "F".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to bow proximal 254; bell 120.; Sounding length: minima 1330 (in|B?), 1388 (in|A), 1468 (in|A?), 1778 (in|F); bit (307a) adds c|40.; Bore: shank (307b) at c|73mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 9.95; shank (307c) at c|73mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 10.2; crook (307d) at c|220mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 9.5; crook (307e) at c|67mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 10.1; instrument body at c|54mm from shank/crook receiver (local minimum bore) 10.9; main tuning-slide from 261mm to 483mm from mouthpiece receiver, m.t.s. bore 11.45; valve cluster from 614mm to 849mm from mouthpiece receiver (with B? shank), v.t.s. bores (1,2,3) 11.3 - 11.05 - 11.3; at c|326mm from bell end, 16; at 10.5mm from bell end, 76.B|=|0.69 (in|B?), 0.70 (in|A), 0.70 (in|A?), 0.73 (in|F).Bell cutoff |1500|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 12.25 - 11.15 (bit 307a), 11.5 - 11.05 (shank 307b), 11.35 - 10.85 (shank 307c), 11.4 - 10.8 (crook 307d), 11.35 - 11.1 (crook 307e).