Technical description: Brass with german silver valve caps and touchpieces; French bell rim; with clapper-key. Valves in V-formation; straight 3rd valve tuning-slide. Fixed mouthpipe, 5 tuning-slide crooks (311a) - (311e) for B♭, A, A♭, G, F. Main tuning-slides with moving inners; all 3 valve tuning-slides with moving outers.; Valve type: 3 Stölzel valves, metal partitions; alignment by key on spring capsule and flat-sided stem. Nominal pitch: B♭ etc.; Type or system: Clapper-key, Handley's model.; Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A₄=|440|Hz.
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell "Handley's Improved / No.. 69 / CHAS. PACE. / Sole Maker / 49 King Street / Westminster". inscribed in silver lozenge-shaped applied plaque on bow from 3rd valve (lowest part of instrument) "B to T".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to bow proximal 283; bell 121.; Sounding length: minima 1340 (in|B?), 1425 (in|A), 1505 (in|A?), 1591 (in|G), 1816 (in|F).; Bore: mouthpipe at c|25mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 9.35; main tuning-slide from 303mm to 499mm from mouthpiece receiver, m.t.s. bore 11.5; valve cluster from 620mm to 854mm from mouthpiece receiver (in|B?), v.t.s. bores (2,3,1) 11.45 - 11.5 - 11.5; at c|306mm from bell end, 16.2; at 15.7mm from bell end, 73.2.B|=|0.65 (in|B?), B|=|0.66 (in|A), B|=|0.66 (in|A?), B|=|0.66 (in|G), B|=|0.68 (in|F).Bell cutoff |1300|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 9.9 - 9.4.