Technical description: Brass with german silver garland, ferrules, shank/crook receiver sheath, finger-hook, and valve top caps and touchpieces. Valves in V-formation; drooping 3rd valve tuning-slide. With clapper key. Main tuning-slide proximal leg with moving outer; distal leg and all valve tuning-slides with moving inners.; Nominal pitch: B♭ etc.; Type or system: Clapper-key. Valve type: 3 Stölzel valves, metal partitions; alignment by key on spring capsule and flat-sided stem.
1849 or earlier; c|1840
Pace, Frederick [Person]
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Engraved on garland in a cartouche "Made by / Frederick Pace / 15 King Street / Whitehall.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to bow proximal 263; bell 121.5.; Sounding length: ; Bore: mouthpiece/shank/crook receiver at c|20mm from receiver (local minimum bore) 11.6; main tuning-slide, m.t.s. bore 11.3; valve cluster, v.t.s. bore (1,2,3) 11.3; at 12.3mm from bell end, 76.8.Bell cutoff |1400|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece/shank/crook receiver: m.r.t. 11.8 - 11.6.