Technical description: Brass. With garland, finger-hook for R5. Main tuning-slide with moving proximal outer and distal inner slides. Valve tuning-slides with moving inner slides; 3rd valve tuning-slide with drooping loop. Clapper key. With B♭ shank with ears.; Nominal pitch: B♭ etc.; Type or system: Clapper-key.; Valve type: 3 Stölzel valves, alignment by key on spring capsule, wax partitions. Usable pitch: Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A₄=|452.4|Hz.
by William Baker.
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on german silver plate on shank "B?".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to bow proximal 260; bell 116.5.; Sounding length: minimum 1316 (with|B? shank).; Bore: B? shank at distal end 77mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 10.35; instrument body at c|20mm from shank/crook receiver (local minimum bore), 11.45; main tuning-slide from 273mm to 482mm from mouthpiece receiver (with B? shank), m.t.s. bore 11.45; valve cluster from 616mm to 836mm from mouthpiece receiver (with B? shank), v.t.s. bore (1,2,3) 11.45; at c|302mm from bell end, 16.2; at 10.5mm from bell end, 77.5.B|=|0.70 (with shank for B?).Bell cutoff |1400|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. of B? shank 11.9 - 11.55.