Technical description: Brass, bell with gusset and French rim. Main tuning-slide pulls forwards; bellpipe leads from 3rd valve. With finger hook for R4 and fitting for music-card holder; no water-key.With shanks for B? and A.; Nominal pitch: B? etc.; ; ; ; ; Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A?=|460|Hz.;
Late 19th century
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell with "GB" monogram / "BUTLER / HAYMARKET / LONDON"; on valve casings "1, "2, "3".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to bow proximal 321; bell 120.; Sounding length: minimum 1282 (in B?), 1358 (in|A).; Bore: B? shank at c|20mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 9.2; A|shank at c|20mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 8.8; main tuning-slide from 209mm to 409mm from mouthpiece receiver (with B? shank), m.t.s. bore 11.7; valve cluster from 572mm to 657mm from mouthpiece receiver (with B? shank), v.t.s. bore (1,2,3) 11.7; at c|260mm from bell end, 16.55; at 22mm from bell end, 65.5.B|=|0.63 (in|B?), B|=|0.65 (in|A).Bell cutoff |1300|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 9.45 - 9.2.