Technical description: Silver-plated brass; Saxon bell rim without garland. With shank for B?, shank overall length 67; and with tuning bit, overall length 40. The main tuning-slide has a maximum pull of only 14mm (adding 28mm to sounding length), hence provision of a tuning bit, effective length 24. With water-key and fitting for music-card holder.; Nominal pitch: B?.; ; ; ; ; Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A?=|452.4|Hz.;
Probably late 19th century
Henry Keat & Sons
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell "Prize Medals"; then below as an ellipse "BY APPOINTMENT TO THE / WAR & INDIAN OFFICES" with inside "CONTRACTORS & MANUFACTURERS"; then below "HY. KEAT & SONS / 105 / MATTHIAS RD. / STOKE NEWINGTON / LONDON / N"; stamped on valve top caps "1", "2", "3";stamped on both bit and shank between the two lugs on the mouthpiece receivers "KEAT" and "LONDON".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to bow proximal 188; bell 90.5.; Sounding length: minimum 1210.; Bore: shank mouthpipe at c|10mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 9.15; m.t.s. from 279mm to 434mm from mouthpiece receiver (with shank), tuning-slide bore 10.85; valve cluster from 434mm to 515mm from mouthpiece receiver (wih shank), v.t.s. bore (1,2,3) 11.0; at 605mm from bell end, c|11.5; at c|9mm from bell end, 71.B|=|0.59.Bell cutoff |1300|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 9.45 - 9.15 over 10mm.