Technical description: silver-plated brass, circular form. Dummy tubing between tubes leading to and from main tuning-slide for reinforcement and to give a more horn-like appearance. With shank for F and crooks for E?, D, D? and C. With water-key and fitting for music-card holder.; Nominal pitch: F etc.; ; ; ; ; Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A?=|452.4|Hz.;
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Inscribed on bell "KOENIG HORN" / circle containing "MÉDAILLE / DE / 1RE CLASSE / EXPOSITION / UNIVERSELLE / 1855" / "Médaille / LONDRES 1862 / Exposition Universelle / ANTOINE COURTOIS / Breveté / FACTEUR DU CONSERVATOIRE IMPÉRIAL / 88. rue des Marais St Martin / Paris / S.|ARTHUR CHAPPELL / Sole Agent / 45 New Bond Street / London"; on valve casings, top caps, spring capsules "1", "2", "3"; on inside of 3rd valve top cap "1956"; on F shank "FA"; on D crook "RE"; on D? crook "RE?".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.2 Valve horns with wider bore
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to valve touchpieces 377; bell 199.; Sounding length: minima 1724 (in|F), 1925 (in|E?), 2050 (in|D), 2161 (in|D?), 2321 (in|C).; Bore: mouthpipe at c|30mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 9.65 (shank for F); valve cluster from 178mm to 252mm from mouthpiece receiver (with F|shank), v.t.s. bore (1,2,3) 11.5; main tuning-slide from 572mm to 867mm from mouthpiece receiver (with F|shank), m.t.s. bores 12.3 - 14.65; at c|545mm from bell end, 20.7.B|=|0.53 (with shank for F), B|=|0.56 (with crook for E?), B|=|0.58 (with crook for D), B|=|0.59 (with crook for D?), B|=|0.65 (with crook for C).Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. of F shank 10.6 - 9.95; E? crook 10.4 - 9.85; D crook 10.55 - 9.95; D? crook 10.55 - 9.8; C crook 10.3 - 10.2.