Technical description: Brass, large gusset in bell; windway runs mouthpipe - m.t.s. - 1 - 2 - 3 - bell. Main tuning-slide for E? with large bow and water-key. Finger-hook for R5; fitting for music-card holder.; Nominal pitch: F|/|E?.; ; ; ; ; Usable pitch: Probably built for use at A?|=|452.4|Hz.;
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell "CLASS / A" / "50 MEDALS OF HONOUR" in banner / monogram "FB" / "''Prototype'' / BESSON & CO. / 198 EUSTON ROAD / LONDON / ENGLAND" / five-pointed star; on 2nd valve casing "8" and "BESSON & CO" / five-pointed star / "BREVETE" in ellipse / "106997" .
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.2 Valve horns with wider bore
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to valve touchpieces 401; bell 253.; Sounding length: minimum (with E? tuning-slide) 1988; minimum 1747 (postulated tuning-slide for F).; Bore: mouthpipe at c|30mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 9.05; main tuning-slide from 235mm to 683mm from mouthpiece receiver (E? slide), m.t.s. bores 10.9 - 11.45; valve cluster from 715mm to 805mm mouthpiece receiver (with E? tuning-slide), v.t.s. bore (1,2,3) 11.45; at 994mm from bell end, c|12.2; at c584|mm from bell end, 17.3.B|=|0.58 (with E? tuning-slide).Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 10.25 - 9.3.