Technical description: Silver-plated brass; bead reinforcement at bell rim underside. 1st and 2nd valves double with respect to 3rd: windway runs mouthpipe - 3 - 1 - 2 - 3 - main tuning-slide - bell when 3rd valve is not operated, and mouthpipe - 3 - 2 - 1 - 3rd valve tuning-slide - 3 - main tuning-slide - bell when 3rd valve is operated. With water-key on main tuning-slide.; Nominal pitch: B?.; Type or system: 3-valve double principle.; ; ; ; ;
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell "CLASS / A / Enharmonic / Patented" / "50 MEDALS OF HONOUR" within banner / monogram "FB" / BESSON & CO. / ``Prototype'' / "198 EUSTON ROAD / LONDON / ENGLAND" / 5-pointed star; stamped on 2nd valve casing "BESSON & CO." / five-pointed star / "BREVETE" within ellipse / 87793 / 5"
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.2 Valve horns with wider bore
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to bow guard knob 622; bell 228.; Sounding length: ; Bore: mouthpipe at c|mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 11.5; m.t.s. at c|235mm from mouthpiece receiver, tuning-slide bore 13.05; valve cluster from |mm to c|mm from mouthpiece receiver, v.t.s. bore (3,1,2,3) 13.1.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 11.85 - 11.5.