Technical description: Silver-plated brass; French bell rim; dummy tubing to act as thumb rest for R0. 1st and 2nd valves double with respect to 3rd and 4th valve compensating with respect to 3rd: windway runs mouthpipe - 3 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 4 - main tuning-slide - bell when 3rd valve is not operated, and mouthpipe - 3 - 3rd valve tuning-slide - 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - main tuning-slide - bell when 3rd valve is operated; when the 4th and third valves are both operated a further short (compensating) loop with its own tuning-slides added to the 3rd valve loop. With water-key on main tuning-slide; with fitting for music-card holder.; Nominal pitch: probably in B?.; Type or system: 4-valve double principle.; ; ; ; ;
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell "CLASS / A / Enharmonic / Patented" / "50 MEDALS OF HONOUR" within banner / monogram "FB" / BESSON & CO. / ``Prototype'' / "198 EUSTON ROAD / LONDON / ENGLAND" / 5-pointed star; stamped on 2nd valve casing "BESSON & CO." / five-pointed star / "BREVETE" within ellipse / 116514 / 8"
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.2 Valve bugles with wide bore
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to bow guard knob 635; bell 278.; Sounding length: ; Bore: mouthpipe at c|35mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 12.25; 3-valve cluster, v.t.s. bore (3,2,1,3) 14.5; 4th valve at c|mm from mouthpiece receiver, v.t.s. bore (4) 15.5; m.t.s. at c|mm from mouthpiece receiver, tuning-slide bores 16.0 - 19.15.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 12.6 - 12.4.