Technical description: Brass with silver ferrules on bell section; gusseted bell with French bell rim. Cranked bell stay. Slide with nickel-plated stockings. With detachable extension pieces for tuning-slide legs.; Nominal pitch: B?.; Type or system: Narrow bore.; ; ; ; Usable pitch: Probably built for use at A?=|452.4|Hz.;
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Inscribed on bell "IMPROVED / SUPERIOR / CLASS" / lion and unicorn / "EXHIBITION / PRIZE MEDAL / AWARDED / LONDON 1862 & DUBLIN 1865 / TO / J.|HIGHAM / MAKER / 127.|STRANGEWAYS / MANCHESTER / 13217" / applied plaque with coat of arms; inscribed on slide section at mouthpiece receiver "J.|HIGHAM LTD / MAKERS / MANCHESTER".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.22 Labrosones with slides
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 1098 (high pitch); 1150 (low pitch); bell 151.; Sounding length: minimum 2620 (high pitch); 2722 (low pitch).; Bore: at c|30mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore), 10.65; expanding at 242mm from mouthpiece receiver to bore c|11.4 ; descending slide, 11.4; ascending slide, 11.4; main tuning-slide from 886mm to 493mm from bell end, m.t.s. bores 11.95 - 13.65; at c|441mm from bell end, 16.1; at 22mm from bell end, 94.5.B|=|0.74.Bell cutoff |900|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 11.65 - 10.8.