Technical description: Lacquered brass with german silver stay, stay plates and inner slide. Bell flare joined to bell pipe by circumferential seam; French bell rim. The stockings are formed by expansion of the inner slide feet.With tuning at top of main slide having a threaded rod attached to outer slide passing through the stay joining the intermediate slides, the tuning-slide travel limited by adjustable nuts. With water-key; no slide lock.; Nominal pitch: B?.; ; ; ; ; Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A?=|440|Hz.;
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Engraved on bell "MADE BY / F.E. Olds / LOS ANGELES / CAL / PAT-APR-2-1912". Stamped both on plate attaching tuning-slide travel limiting screw and on water-key "2160". No serial number on bell section.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.22 Labrosones with slides
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 1180; bell 154.; Sounding length: minimum 2717.; Bore: at c|35mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore), 10.2; expanding by 150mm from mouthpiece receiver to bore c|12.15; descending slide, 12.15; ascending slide, 12.55; at c|604mm from bell end, 17.75; at 22.5mm from bell end, 99.B|=|0.64.Bell cutoff |900|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 11.65 - 10.7.