Military side drum
Military side drum with emblazoned metal shell and wooden counterhoops, rope-tensioned with British style white leather braces (round edge, white, with vellum lace), and drag rope. The counterhoops have 9 drilled holes and brass saddles through which the tensioning rope passes. The batter head has 3 metal feet match-painted with the counterhoop decoration. Drum was converted into a coffee table, where the heads were replaced with wooden planks and three wooden feet were added on the bottom. Associated with the Duke of Cambridge’s Own (Middlesex Regiment) and the Crimean War (1854 -1856).
National Army Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
Birmingham (Timezone: Europe/London)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Heraldic emblazonment of the 1st Battalion (Duke of Cambridge's Own) Middlesex Regiment, with regimental cap badge of the 57th and principal battle honour at Albuhera, and additional carmine scrolls for battle honours.
- Inscriptions:Stamped on shell: A. O. WINDSOR / MAKER / BIRMINGHAM / 1916 / [broad arrow]
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Repository:National Army Museum
- Measurements:Height: 528mm; Diameter: 380mm