Military snare drum
Military side drum with emblazoned metal shell and wooden counterhoops, 15-inch skin heads, rod-tensioned (8 hook-rods with metal claws on batter hoop, and brass saddles on bottom hoop). J-hook screw style snare strainer. Steel hook carry attached to batter counterhoop. Rod claws match-painted with counterhoop decoration. Associated with the Middlesex Regiment.
Hawkes & Son [Corporation]
National Army Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
London (Timezone: Europe/London)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Heraldic emblazonment of the (?)th Battalion of the Duke of Cambridge's Own Middlesex Regiment, with Royal Arms.
- Inscriptions:Stamped on shell: HAWKES & SON / MAKERS / LONDON / 2481
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Repository:National Army Museum
- Measurements:Height: 250mm; Diameter: 390mm