Long (bass) drum
Military long bass drum with emblazoned wooden shell and wooden counterhoops, 24-inch skin heads (broken), and rope-tensioned with leather braces. The counterhoops have 12 drilled holes through which the tensioning rope passes. The overlapped shell seam is reinforced with brass tack pattern. This instrument is part of the Frampton-on-Severn volunteers' collection, which was acquired by Squire Nathaniel Winchcombe of Stratford House, Stroud, in August of 1798. At his own initiative and expense, Winchcombe raised a volunteer force as a result from the passing of the Volunteer Defence Act of April 1798, and purchased musical instruments that were to be loaned to the music band constituted by members of the corps.
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
London (Timezone: Europe/London)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.212.12 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, both heads played
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Heraldic emblazonment of the Frampton Volunteers with monogram F.V. inside a red oval cartouche surrounded by motto "PRO DEO REGE ET CARISSIMIS" surmounted by a crown. The whole is surrounded by a wreath of green long leaves (eucalyptus?) and golden oak leaves and acorns.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.212.12 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, both heads played
- Repository:Gloucester Life
- Measurements:Width: 737mm; Diameter: 660mm