High treble viol
High treble viol with sloping shoulders, deep ribs and C-shaped soundholes. Two-piece spruce top. Rosewood back and ribs. Maple neck. Fingerboard, tailpiece and nut of ebony. Five rosewood friction pegs, and five strings (one silver-wound, four gut). Seven tied gut frets. Tailpiece with tailgut and ivory saddle. This instrument is part of the Albert C. Spencer collection.
Ouvrard, Jean [Person]
Royal Pavilion and Museums Brighton
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
Paris (Timezone: Europe/Paris)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:321.322-71 Necked box lutes or necked guitars sounded by bowing with a bow
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Pegbox scroll carved in the form of a woman's head. Double purfling of dark-light-dark hardwood strips.
- Inscriptions:Paper label inside: OUVRARD Luthier Place / de l'Ecole A PARIS / 174
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:321.322-71 Necked box lutes or necked guitars sounded by bowing with a bow
- Repository:Royal Pavilion and Museums Brighton
- Measurements:Height: 610mm; Width (lower bout): 195mm; Width (upper bout): 160mm