Nominal pitch: C. 8 keys. Bore: conical. Technical description: rosewood; 5|sections; silver keys; 7|grooved silver ferrules; wooden cap; screw-stopper with metal pin; metal-lined head; long tuning-slide; large circular embouchure-hole; large finger-holes especially L2 and R2, but R3 very small; overlapping low C/C? touches; linear design with very little expansion at joints. Keyhead type: saltspoon with black leather pads; low C/C? have pewter plugs and metal key-hole surrounds. Keymount type: knob. Performance characteristics: [original range C?|-|B??]; not playable in present condition.
Second quarter of the 19th century
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
London (Timezone: Europe/London)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped "Bw. HARRIS / MANUFACTURER / 37 GLOCESTER [sic] TERRACE / COMMERCIAL RD / LONDON." on upper-body and foot; and on other sections stamped "B-HARRIS / LONDON".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 661. Sounding length: 586.