Nominal pitch: F. 3 valves. Technical description: Brass with german silver stay ends, mouthpiece receiver sheath on crook, valve parts, thumb ring and finger hook; with tuning-slide, one ferrule-covered joint; single small gusset in bell; French bell rim. Right-hand-in-bell chirality.Section lengths: from tuning-slide to mid-ferrule 361mm; from mid-ferrule to bell end 906mm.With ring for L0 and hook for L4.A two-coil crook similar in length to the G crook for a French valve horn gives F with this instrument. Valve type: 3 rotary valves, cork buffers mounted on rotors, leaf springs with force adjustment; one end of each screw fixed, the other resting on the end of an adjusting screw. The touchpieces, connecting arms and screws are attached to drums which look like spring drums but are thinner.
After 1920, probably c|1930
Rampone & Cazzani [Corporation]
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
Milan (Timezone: Europe/Rome)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.12-4 Valve horns with narrow bore, with long air column (more than 2 m) and with crooks
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Mother of pearl touchpieces; engraving on thin drums and arms connecting valve rotors with levers from the thin drums.
- Inscriptions:Inscribed on bell with five-pointed star / "PREMIATO STABILTO.", then below with trademark of "B. CAZZANI & Co. / MILANO" within fame, then below "SPORTAZIONE MONDIALE",then below "A. RAMPONE / Ditte Riunite / B. CAZZANI & CO." within ellipse.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.12-4 Valve horns with narrow bore, with long air column (more than 2 m) and with crooks
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to far coil hook 430; bell 295. Sounding length: minimum 3668 with crook for F. Bore: crook for F at 30mm form mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore), 7.5; instrument body at c|305mm from shank/crook receiver (local minimum bore), 11.4; valve cluster from 1625mm to 1755mm from mouthpiece receiver (with crook for F), v.t.s. bore (1,2,3) c|11.6; at 1834mm from mouthpiece receiver (with crook for F), 11.2; main tuning-slide from 2000mm to 2242mm from mouthpiece receiver (with crook for F), m.t.s. bores 11.35 - 11.9; at c|973mm from bell end, 15.8.at 59mm from bell end, 119.Bell cutoff |600|Hz.Bell wall angle at D=100mm, 24.8°.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: crook for|F, m.r.t. 8.51 - 7.85; crook receiver on body, 13.85 - 13.05.