Tenor trombone, German model.
Nominal pitch: B?. Technical description: Brass with german silver garland, bell bow ferrules, bow guards, central parts of stays, bell pipe stay plate. Chromium plated inner slide with stockings in one piece with slides. The inner slides are each about 65mm shorter than the cylindrical parts of the outer slides. No tuning-slide. Bell flare joined with a circumferential seam crossed by tabbed seam running the full length of the bell pipe. Wide garland. Spring buffers. The outer slide stay is soldered and not mobile. No water-key, slide lock or bell lock. Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A?=|452.4|Hz.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:twin snake ornaments on bell bow and slide bow guards; 24 embossed shell or acanthus motifs at inner edge of garland.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.22 Labrosones with slides
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from snake ornament on bell bow to snake ornament on slide bow, slide springs not compressed, 1217; bell 222. Sounding length: minimum 2630. Bore: at c|25mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore), 11.45; expanding by 237mm from mouthpiece receiver to bore c|14.0 ; descending slide, 14.0; ascending slide, 14.0; at c|500mm from bell end, 19.75; at 35mm from bell end, 105.5.B|=|0.65.Bell cutoff |900|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 12.6 - 11.7.