Small single-headed, cylindrical drum made of a single piece of carved wood with an integral carved handle, and a slightly flared open end. There would be a membrane of reptile skin, probably glued onto the rim with a hoop of plaited rattan, now missing.
Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
Papua New Guinea
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.211.1 Individual single-skin cylindrical drums
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Delicately carved swirl patterns protruding slightly outward, as handle extensions, and three triangular carved patterned bands along the body.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.211.1 Individual single-skin cylindrical drums
- Repository:Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum
- Measurements:Height: 350mm; Diameter: 90mm