Large "Grande Format Overture" mechanical music box, model no. 1755, built inside a wooden case, possibly oak, with hinged lid and brass cap edges and corners. The mechanism has a brass cylinder roller and steel lamellas that can play a selection of six classical overtures, with a fixed winding lever on the left side, and three operation levers on the right side (change/repeat; stop at the end of tune/continue; start/stop). The case has an interior glass panel lid which allows to see the mechanism.
Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
Genève (Timezone: Europe/Zurich)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:122.2-9 Mechanically driven lamellaphones (or plucked idiophones) with cut-out lamellae
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Decorative inlay on case lid and front of blue and white scrolling foliate design with brass, mother of pearl, and enamel.
- Inscriptions:Engraved on brass plaque located on the underside of lid: A 6 OUVERTURES GME No.1755 / No. 39552 / 1 Ouverture des Diamans by Aubert / 2 dito D. I. Puritani " Bellini / 3 dito Semiramis " Rossini / 4 dito Flûte Enchantée " Mozart / 5 dito Cenerentolla " Rossini / 6 dito Somnambula " Bellini / FABRIQUÉ PAR NICOLE FRÈRES / GENÈVE|Stamped on bedplate: NICOLE FRERES / A GENEVE
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:122.2-9 Mechanically driven lamellaphones (or plucked idiophones) with cut-out lamellae
- Repository:Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum
- Measurements:Height: 205mm; Width: 845mm; Depth: 287mm